In 1988, Fr. Wally was asked to volunteer for mission work in the jungle
areas of Panama. He has became very involved in directing numerous
infrastructural social development projects for the poor and disadvantaged.
Today he continues to work with the poor and disenfranchised and has planned and
executed the following projects:
- Torti/Playa Chuzo Water System - Bringing potable water to 500 homes in
- Palmos Bellas Water System - Bringing potable water to 100 homes.
- Kuna and Chocoe Embera Water System - Bringing potable water to 80 homes
of indigenous people.
- Canasas Water Project - Bringing potable water to approximately 5,000
people in 14 different villages. This project is the largest rural water
system in Panama with approximately 65 miles of PVC pipe buried by hand.
- Arenal Water Project - Bringing potable water to approximately 60 homes in
- Health Center, Torti - Made all of the cement block for the construction
of the Center.
- Medical trips - Organized yearly visits to Wacuco Mission with the Christian
Medical Mission, Austin, TX.
- Outhouses - Distributed 500 fiberglass toilet seat platforms to the
poor throughout Alto Bayano for construction of outhouses.
- Chocoe Embera Indian Village Primary School - Put up rafters, roofing and
finished walls for two additional classrooms.
- Kuna Indian Village Primary School - Built two additional classrooms from
the ground up.
- Torti High School - Purchased 10 acres of land and prepared it for the
future construction of the High School.
- Concrete Steel Reinforced Bridges - Built bridges for roads in
Palmas Bellas, Wacuco, La Ocho-Pigandi, Chocoe-Embera, Torti, and three in
Villa Del Carmen.
- Constructed Roads - Built crowned-gravel roads with ditches and culverts. One kilometer of road was built in
Ipeti-Quebrada La Palma; 1.5 kilometers in Palmos Bellas; and seven
kilometers in Arenal-El Progresso.
- Pan-American Highway - Maintained this highway for several years until
2002 when the Panamanian government blacktopped the highway.
- Electrical Work - Installed generator, utility posts, street lights, power
lines and heavy-ups with lights and outlets to each home in the Chocoe
Embera Indian village.
- Cement Block Plant - Built a plant in Wacuco to make four inch, six inch,
and ornamental window block for all projects.
- Cement Culvert Plant - Built a plant in Wacuco to make culverts 24"
I.D. X 48" long for roads and driveway entrances.
- Churches - Built churches in Torti. Playa Chuzo, Chocoe Embera,
Higheronal and Wacuco.
- Tree Nursery - Planted a tree farm in Wacuco; planting seeds in raised
beds and transplanting seedlings for later distribution throughout Alto
Bayano in effort to reforest. To date, thousands of trees have been planted.
- Fish Ponds - Built ponds and planted tilapia fish which have multiplied a thousand-fold.
- High School - Secured a contract with the Panamanian government and built the Torti High School.